Sunday 28 December 2014

Week 12 - Film Room Project Post-Mortem

   It's been quite a while since the Film Room project, and since then I have had some time to reflect on how I thought it went, and how I'd do in the future. 
   The aim of this project was to work in groups to strengthen our abilities towards working as a team, whilst building a set from a film as exact as possible, from Max to Engine. Everything from camera angles to scale to lighting had to be accurate, so we had quite a challenge ahead of us. The aim was to recreate the scene to be as similar as the film still we had chosen, so we had to pick something interesting with a dynamic colour scheme and lighting. 
   






   These are some of the mood boards I initially produced, analysing the scenes and the lighting in them. A lot of time was wasted when it came to selecting a film still to work from, but I think this is because we kept choosing films with dull lighting and a colour palette mainly consisting of brown and green. One of the shots we chose was quite good though, I think, and that was the one above, of the almost empty room in Sweeney Todd. Even though we didn't end up doing this one, I think it could be interesting to do as a small personal project, because the room is a very dynamic shape.



  We eventually chose to recreate this scene from Moonrise Kingdom, but looking at it now, it's just so.. yellow. I think we could have chosen something more interesting, like a scene from Pushing Daisies or the Grand Budapest Hotel or something. 




   I mean look how adorable these sets in Pushing Daisies are!!! Pretty much all of the sets in Pushing Daisies are interesting; it's a really cute quirky show. Maybe I'll do one of these as a personal project? Yeah, that could be fun, and now that I have more experience I think I could do this in a much shorter amount of time and achieve better results while doing so! 






   After this I did a paint-over of the scene we chose, then drew up some concepts of the room to put it into context for the group. After this I went on to do some concepts of the objects that would be in the scene. Looking at the amount of objects we had each at this stage, it looks like such a small amount, but I remember it taking a while to get done. I think my concepting skills have improved so much since this project, then again I suppose I didn't really need to concept a vast amount, I just needed to make sure that everyone had a good idea of what the objects in the scene should look like.


      This was our final screenshot. I think overall we did quite well. I'm still fairly pleased with the wallpaper textures I had made, because it was a really strange wallpaper, so I think it went alright. I can see parts where there are seams which is so annoying to me now, because if I has just stitched those UVs together before texturing, they wouldn't have been there. Some of the textures, such as the textures on the door, could have been better; same with the geometry. 

   As for working as a group, considering it was the first official group project, I think we did really well. We got on really well and made sure we helped each other at every point. We could probably just have done with organising our time scale better, because some of the things we were doing shouldn't have taken as long as it should. However overall, I think we did well as a team, and the workload was fairly even. 

No comments:

Post a Comment