Saturday 22 March 2014

Cubecraft

   This post is long overdue, however, I want to include it anyway because I enjoyed it quite a lot and was quite excited to do it. This is from a Critical Studies task set for us that I did quite a while back. We were given some templates that looked a little bit like this...


   The idea of this was to create 'textures' in the same way we might paint on to UV maps for models in 3ds Max. I spent a little bit of time beforehand looking online at some of the ones other people had done for inspiration. Some of the ones people had made were really cute and imaginative. Ones that were of already existing characters had incorporated main design elements to make them instantly recognisable, despite their simplicity, proving the fact of them being well designed, original characters.



   When it came to doing my own, I started asking myself.. what do I like? Do I like anything iconic? Thinking about yourself that way can sometimes be difficult if there isn't an immediately obvious answer. Even though it's a slightly sad and uncool thing to admit, I have always had a fondness for Michael Jackson. Always. I adore his music and his performances, despite the fact that it differs so strongly from my usual music taste, purely because it genuinely makes me really happy. So I decided that he was my best and most obvious option. Then I basically just had to decide on his outfit, what was iconic about him and so forth. He had so many different looks though!



   This is the look I based it on, because it's fairly understated but quite iconic. I just added little elements to the look, such as his curly hair and aviator glasses.




    This was the finished result of my cube craft map, a front and back view. I found it tricky to decide how to make the hat. I ended up cutting out two hats that were the same and bending them to be sort of 3d, gluing the base to the head. I'd rethink this if I were to re do this and maybe look up how to make these sorts of hats. I made the hair by folding it into a simple pyramid and glued on to the back of the head. I was actually really pleased with how this came out, I thought it was quite successful as a whole. It definitely looks like Michael Jackson anyway! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment