Saturday 11 October 2014

Week 2 - Film Room Project and Working in Groups!

   This week has been pretty good, on the whole, if a little confusing at times. On monday, we started knuckling down to properly work on our film room project, which has been awesome so far. We had previously decided on Moonrise Kingdom as our film of choice, so last weekend I created some concepts to help us along.



   This is a paint over I did of the scene so we could see a vague idea of what the scene would look like without the characters in it. The carpet was ridiculously difficult to do because of the pattern on it, so I think texturing it may prove tricky, but we'll get there.


      I looked at the room and made a list of the assets we would have to build. From here I went on to draw up some concepts, just so that we'd have a better idea of what we were building. This was easy enough to do when it came to the sofa and the tables etc, but there were some objects which were so difficult to see, we sort of had to just make an educated guess at what they were. I've already found that doing this has helped me whilst building some of the assets, so I'm glad that I decided to do it.


   Amanda has done some great concepts too, to help her with building her objects. We've all undertaken different assets, and have comprised a planning sheet with each persons tasks on it and have agreed a timescale to work by.



   After doing these I sketched a few thumbnails of the room, to get better used the perspective and overall look of the room that we'd be building. I then sketched the room as a 3d object including orthographics to help when it comes to building it.






   This is a white box plan that Lucy had done in 3DS max, to help plan out the angle and view of our scene.


   Whilst Amanda did a paint over to block out separate areas and assets, which also brings more of a focus on perspective.


   In Mondays game production lesson, we were taught how to make perspective lines so we could build the scenes from our images accurately. This is the block out that Mark did, which has been so helpful. We've been using it to help with building our model out of kappa board too, because it has been helping us get convert the dimensions accurately. We're hopefully going to get together soon to finish building this, so I will update this blog with it then.
   We heard later on in the week that we might have to change our idea completely and even though we were really hoping we wouldn't have to, we made some more mood boards of possible films we could do instead just in case.


   This is another Wes Anderson, a thoroughly brilliant film. Seriously, if you haven't watched it, please do. Some of the scenes in this are absolutely gorgeous in my opinion, though have rather a lot of objects in some cases. This could have proven tricky to complete on time, but I think perhaps a lot of the work would have been in the texturing.


   These are some film stills that Amanda found, some of which I think would have been fantastic if we had a longer timescale, because of the amount of assets and detail in them. They are very colourful though, so they could have been quite interesting to do.


   I also thought of a scene from Back to the Future 2, in Cafe 80s, which I actually really liked the idea of. It's a really interesting, fun looking room without the characters in it. I think though, it may have been difficult because there are a lot of little things included in the background on the wall which could have been difficult to texture in. It turned out in the end that the tutors were happy with out idea of Moonrise Kingdom, so we won't have to start again. We were quite happy about this because a few of us had already started modelling. Our tutors did point out, however, that texturing may be quite difficult, because instead of being a wallpaper, the walls are all different. Because of this, we are trying to get the modelling finished as quickly as possible so that we have plenty of time to texture.

   After our critical studies seminar, we put together a work distribution plan, together with deadlines for each thing to be completed. I think this will help us greatly when it comes to organising ourselves and dealing with the stress, because we can't afford to stray from it.



   To finish off this weeks blogpost, here is some work from my Life Drawing session this week. Wahhh I'm actually really missing the 3 hour sessions from last year, 1 and a half hours feels so short!    These are some of my warm up sketches from this weeks lesson.


   This is my final finished piece from this week. We were working this week by rubbing out 
charcoal ground, then sketching in with charcoal again. I used to despise this, but I have gradually grown to rather enjoy it! I do feel that this could have gone better though; I would have preferred more detail. 


   I thought this session felt really short and it saddened me, so when I got home I did some more quick life drawing sketches. This is something I try to do fairly regularly, using websites such as http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ and http://www.quickposes.com

                       



   I also tried to revisit the technique we used in the lesson. It may be in part due to the fact I was working on A2, not using an easel but I have got the proportions incorrect on this piece. I strayed from using just charcoal and a rubber for this one though, and also used a white and a black conte pencil, which I think worked well to add a bit of extra detail that I initially didn't achieve.







No comments:

Post a Comment