Monday 20 October 2014

Week 3: It's coming together..

   It's crazy that we've done three weeks of our second year already.. The time left on the Film Room project is rapidly draining away, but.. I think we're doing okay.
   On monday I was finishing off bits of modelling and starting off the unwrapping of the objects that I had built. The unwrapping, for the most part, went relatively smoothly, apart from the chair, which was a bit annoying and fiddly.
   I started texturing on wednesday, and continued this through to the weekend, alongside other things that needed doing for the project.
   On thursday we did another 'Dragon's Den' style presentation. I don't know why, I felt a lot more nervous than usual this week, maybe it's the feeling of the project drawing to a close.. or whatever. 
   Anyway, the presentation turned out to be very helpful, as it helped us realise that our scene was more out of perspective than we had initially thought. 



   See what I mean? For instance, the chair on the side looks massive! It was pointed out that the horizon line was way too high, and the camera setup was wrong. We all saw it immediately, although we hadn't seen it before. After this we went to the labs and Mark did an awesome job of tweaking the camera in the scene in 3DS Max, which already looks so much better! We cal all really see it coming together nicely now and it's so exciting!


   These are some UE4 screenshots of some assets I have made for the scene this week. I'm so pleased with these!! Unreal makes things look so prettty!!! We love you PBR!!!  The rest of my objects I have textured over the weekend, and haven't yet tested them in UE4, but I will when I get back into the labs. 




   Alongside building the scene for engine, we've been building a physical model to be handed in with it. We got together last sunday (having already previously worked out and cut out all of the walls for the main structure), to put together all of the pieces for the model. 
   We got the main model built last Sunday, and had a lot of fun doing it too! We spent a lot of that night laughing; I'm really glad our group get on well, it definitely makes things easier. 

   We started off by securing the walls with pins, so we could make sure it looked good standing, then we secured it with tape as well afterwards.We also got to start building the assets at this point, however some were the wrong size and had to be remade.




   We continued building it in the labs on friday, but sadly this took much longer than we had initially hoped and we ended up spending most of the day on it. Below I have tried to recreate the shot as best as possible, but I think I need to use a better camera and try taking it from further away and zooming in, so I can limit distortion. It's not immaculately built, but I'm quite pleased with how this turned out because I've not had much experience with building architectural type models before. Hopefully this week we'll get a chance to test lighting on it to get the lighting similar to the actual scene.




Happy Times Building Models!!!

   This is some of my work from life drawing this week, which I am enjoying immensely. Recently I find life drawing so relaxing and fun, it's like some sort of magic stress therapy. We started by doing the usual 2 minute poses using continuous line and opposite hand.


   Then we moved on to the main bulk of the session, where we worked in colour. (These images below are my thumbnail sketch of the model, and sketches of people in my class, which I did in the last few minutes of the session I had free.


   I'm not entirely happy with how this one went, but practice is practice. I definitely need to work on watercolours, because I tend to work too slowly and make the paper all furry. I think that the use of colour worked quite well, the brown made the body look very warm in contrast to the cool blue/grey of the background.


   To finish this blogpost on a high note, I have finally watched Moonrise Kingdom and it's a really adorable quirky film! I enjoyed it a lot more than expected, so I painted this film still as a little personal piece. It's not perfect, but I really enjoyed this. I've been fairly demotivated recently, so to produce a personal piece that I'm actually happy with is a good feeling!





No comments:

Post a Comment