Monday 20 April 2015

Week 29 - Character Progress and Presentations!

   I feel like I'm making steady progress as I am one by one checking things off my list. I've finished the character project for re submission to a quality that I am very happy with. I didn't think it would take as long as it did originally, as I had only intended to change the topology and improve the textures. I ended up rebuilding a lot of sections though, so I needed to unwrap them and re texture. I've been enjoying it actually, because I feel like I've made remarkable improvements to the character. I think he still comes across as a moody teenager, but now he actually looks genuinely male. Over the summer I may re-design and model my other character, so they can be a more solid portfolio piece together. 

   This is what the character looked like when it was originally submitted. The one underneath is the character after my feedback session. I have made the face and overall physique broader, re modeled areas (the ears, for instance), re designed the character in terms of hair and facial features and improved the textures. 





   Here are some beauty renders of the finished character. It's a massive improvement over the previous character, and I'm really proud of how much I've improved since just before Christmas. Honestly, it's made me really happy and has made me want to practice and improve even more. It's also made me realise that even though I still have a lot to learn, I really enjoy designing and making characters, so maybe I'll incorporate this into more personal projects over the summer.



   I also gave my presentation last week, which went much better than I thought it would. I'm used to getting nervous, my mind going blank and stumbling over my words, which didn't seem to cause me too much of an issue this time. I found it incredibly difficult to think what to talk about. For a while I thought about talking about the film Brave, because it's beautiful and makes me cry, plus I have the art book. I couldn't really think what the point of talking about this would be though, other than me just blurting about how much I loved the film and how pretty I thought it was.
   I decided instead to talk about the Wreck this Journal and how I've been using it as a kind of stress relief. 
  Here are some of the pages I showed in the presentation. 





I talked about how the journal could be personal, emotional and a form of escapism. I also talked about how it made you try different things artistically, and that I found using mediums that I might not usually. It was suggested by one of my tutors that I could think further on how I could incorporate this thought process and the actions and materials of what I'm doing towards my work. I'd honestly never even thought about it that way, I was so used to using it as my 'break' and not even associating it with anything else. I think that's made me open my mind to the possibilities, and maybe this will be able help me change my thought processes a bit. Maybe it will spark off ideas for personal projects. Who knows?! Either way, lots of other students gave really interesting presentations and I left the room feeling motivated, uplifted and inspired; I can't wait to properly get started on potential ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment