Monday 13 April 2015

Week 28 - Dichotomy Progression

   Over the Easter break I have been working on getting my character up to scratch for the re submission. I decided that even though I wasn't going to completely re-model it, I should go back to the stage of research and redesign before I started. 
   I decided to have a look at various male Pixar and Disney characters, so I could identify what about them makes them noticeably male. These where really helpful when it came to the redesign of my own character, especially the character Tadashi from Big Hero 6, because which is probably because he's the closest in age to my own character.


First I wanted to address the facial features of my character, which are the main reasons he looks too feminine. His chin was quite pointy, so I made it larger and gave him a broader jaw. I also decided to change his hair, because it's probably just contributing to him being feminine. 


   I decided to keep his hair shorter, but maybe with shaved sides still. Another one of the things I was told I need to address in the feedback session was to improve the topology in other areas of the body, such as the legs, for instance. I decided that whilst I was doing this, I would also make him slightly more realistic in terms of his body shape, so he's taller and his body shape is less stylized than it was before. I've kept his outfit pretty much the same, because I liked that the way it was.



   Whilst I was modelling the hair, I considered what he may look like with a beanie hat on, so I produced these rough sketches. I quite like the look of this, so I'm going to experiment with it on the model and see how it looks.


   So far I'm part way through re topologising and building the body, keeping the old old model next to it to compare. I think that I'm already making massive progress with it because he looks way more masculine than the old model. So my goal with this project from now is to finish the modelling and re topologising fairly quickly, then I can work on improving the textures throughout the model.



No comments:

Post a Comment