Thursday 7 November 2013

Some of my Work and Thoughts so far...

   So... this post is an ashamedly long overdue post of some of the work I've been doing so far during the course. I've been incredibly lax with the blog, to be honest I've been finding the prospect daunting for some reason. Now is time to right that wrong.
   These are some of my finals from over the weeks of visual design. The first being The Canal Bridge.

 
   I was initially quite pleased with this and I really enjoyed going back to continue this piece. Despite the cold, I felt incredibly serene and peaceful. Whilst I was finishing this piece, I realised I actually liked the view in the opposite direction way better, so I decided I'd give it a go after I'd finished the first.


   I think my second final went much better than the previous. The perspective is nicer, and I feel I made a noticeable improvement from the first to the second in terms of realism and perspective. I also am really pleased with the contrast and amount of depth I achieved. If anything should be improved, I think I need to try harder to draw more realistic looking water, because I feel that the reflections look perhaps a little unrealistic.


   The second week, we were producing drawings of the archway, which I really loved doing. I liked getting the intricate details in the stones and cobbles, although admittedly I found it tricky to get the correct perspective at first. The drawback of this one was that it was freezing when I revisited to complete the piece, so everything took a lot longer than planned...


   The Student Union. Originally we were working in the Queens building, which was great (mainly because we were out of the rain) but also because the Queens building has some amazing interior structure. It could be perfect for creating an atmospheric, creepy piece of work, but we were learning 2-point perspective, which was quite difficult to achieve in the Queens building. So, the SU! I can't say this was the most enjoyable piece for me, however I found it very useful for developing my skills regarding perspective.


   I found drawing in Bradgate park very enjoyable, even though I didn't get a lot done on my first visit, due to inevitable lousy weather. No matter, the return went much better, with improved weather and the much welcome addition of ice-cream. This piece, I am actually really proud of. I came across this little bridge and instantly felt inspired to sketch it. I'm very proud of the results, because I think I have achieved a nice composition with good contrast. 


   Drawing dinosaur bones in the museum was really fun, aside from the mass unwelcome amount of school children... I think my first final went rather well, and drawing the dinosaur bones has actually been my favourite of monday mornings so far. I found the different intricate sections of the bones really interesting, the shapes inside and the shadows they cast onto the other bones. In my opinion this piece went very well, the pieces delicate, intriguing and strange. 


   Even though I was happy with my first final, I decided I just wanted to do one more. I am so glad I did aswell, because I think it came out brilliantly. Admittedly, I didn't finish it at the museum. I used photo references, sitting up in bed watching Inglourious Basterds and eating everything in sight. So, I think it came out very very well considering it was from photo references.

   On to Life drawing. I. Adore. Life drawing. Art has always been my life pretty much, and I love all of visual design, but there is nothing more useful than drawing the human figure from life, not to me anyway. I'd done it a lot in college and had attended a couple of lessons even before that, so it was so nice to straight away on the first day be drawing the human form. Here's a selection of my favourites from the lessons so far.








   Game Production... My verdict after the first lesson was that I hated it. I couldn't see how I'd ever get my head around it. I was thinking 'If I'm getting stuck now, what am I going to be like a couple of months down the line?!' First lesson, and I was instantly thinking, 'I can't do this' 'I'm never going to be good enough for this course' and I thought I was going to be the only one struggling. 
   Now, I feel much better about it. I'm still not brilliant, and I'm far from the best in my class but I feel like I have improved so much. I feel like I've learnt so much in this short amount of time and I'll admit that I'm proud of myself. I won't give up, I'm going to keep on trying and just try and better myself as much as I can.

   All-in-all? So far, despite getting stressed like hell, I am loving this course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment