Sunday 17 November 2013

Wolfenstein

   I bought Wolfenstein 3D on GameBoy Advance a couple of weeks ago. I'd played Wolfenstein for Xbox 360 and I wanted to see some earlier development of this first person shooter franchise. These games hold quite a strong interest point for me. They're based around and after World War 2, a time which I find incredibly interesting.
   The first release from this franchise was 'Castle Wolfenstein', in 1891, and was playable on Apple II, DOS, Atari 400/800 and the Commodore 64.


   It looks incredibly basic, but excellent for the time and I would actually really like to play it.

   Wolfenstein 3D, which I bought for the Gameboy Advance not so long ago, was the first Wolfenstein game to be released on console as well as computer.


   It was released in 1992, and was playable on SNES, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, GBA and now is playable on PS3 and the Xbox 360.


   At first, I found this game sort of basic and boring... I got into it really quickly though. There are pretty limited controls; being movement, attack, open door and weapon switch. That's it. However, despite this, the graphics (and the lack of music, though that may be a glitch with my cartridge...). Anyway, despite all this, I quickly started to really enjoy myself (and, admittedly, gasp and curse when I'd die). 



   Before I played Wolfenstein 3D, I'd played Wolfenstein for the Xbox 360, which I actually adore. I really enjoyed the involved, interesting storyline and the general FPS style. The atmosphere of the game is a lot of fun. It's actually a sequel to 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' (which I would also like to try at some point) but it doesn't really limit your knowledge on the story at hand. 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein' apparently received a bit of controversial press when being listed as an antisemitic game because Nazis being portrayed as protagonists. I think maybe I need to play it, but I'm pretty sure that the protagonist is Agent Blazkowicz, like the majority of the games, so I'm not sure whether you could really refer to it as anti semitic... especially as you're killing Nazis the whole way through the game...

   Next coming up for future though.. Wolfenstein: The New Order, which I honestly cannot wait for.


   It's set in the 1960s, in an alternate universe where the Nazis won the war, and you, Agent Blazkowicz are against them, to take down their forces and new 'Super Weapons'. It's set for release in 2014 and I'm really looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment