Sunday 8 February 2015

Week 19 - Flaming Dodo!

   This week we started an exciting new project! GameCity's Alice's Adventures Off the Map competition for the British Library! I'm in a team with Lewis, Jonah, Carl, Carla and Andy, and we together are Flaming Dodo Productions! We have set up a blog where we will be regularly updating with work, which you can view here; http://www.flamingdodo.co.uk!!!

   We decided that the best idea was to start by going straight to the source material and reading the book. I found that it was free for kindle, so I bought it and spent the evening reading it with a hot chocolate.

   From then we went straight into the research stage. I looked into stylisation and various styles that Alice has been drawn in before. I looked at some drawings of the other characters, images that illustrate the setting of Alice in Wonderland and so on.
  






   I was really inspired by these so I created some quick sketches and thought about what the tunnels could be like. These were just some early sketches where I was some exploring some ideas.




   We had a group meeting and the general group consensus was that we didn't want to create an Alice in Wonderland game, and instead wanted to create a level that explored Lewis Carroll's inspirations for creating the world of Alice in Wonderland. We discussed the possibility of being inspired by games like Dear Esther, where it's audience engagement is primarily based in the environment, so the audience is left to absorb what they can from their surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment