Sunday 8 March 2015

Week 23 - OTM: The Joys of Interiors

   This week, in honesty, has been a bit of a dissapointment. I had hoped to crack on with lots of texturing this week, but there have been a few other issues, personal and project related, that have been stealing my focus and attention.

   I started the week by finishing some interior concepts for the Apothecary and the Florist.





   From this and the concept I did of the insides of these shops, I have been able to make a list of what assets need to be made, which I will be expanding on whenever I think of something else we could find useful. At present, the Cake shop will be a cake stand, but once I've finished everything that's necessary for us to have, I can think about building a cake shop that the player can go into, and possibly more variations of generic shops. 

   From here, I tried to build the shops so that the player would be able to enter them, but also so that there would be no Z-fighting. This proved trickier than I had anticipated, and also from this arose another problem. When I imported them into Unreal Engine, it brought up an error message saying 'Degenerate Tangent Bases'. Right now I still don't understand why this is happening, but I'm going to try a few different things and see if they fix the issue, like seeing if unwrapping the models and sorting out the light maps could possibly fix this. If not I'll try importing the different parts of the mesh seperately.

   I did also get a bit of a chance to do some more texturing; I made a start on the tiling textures I needed to make and textured some of the street furniture like the shop signs, etc. I've also made a start on modelling some of the assets to populate the apothecary with, which has mostly been a welcome break from seeing the words 'Degenerate Tangent Bases' and wanting to curl up under the desk.

   I'm going to really try and focus on producing a lot more textures now and try not to get distracted by other tasks. Here's to what will hopefully be a better week!


No comments:

Post a Comment