Sunday 1 March 2015

Week 22 - OTM Catch up



   This week I was testing the look of the level more. At this point we were playing with the idea of running through the level several times, much like in P.T. Except each time you'd run through the level it's change, gradually getting more eerie and twisted, the weather changing and so on. Following this I painted over my concept of the street to think about the street under different conditions, however since this we have dropped this idea because repeating the same level over and over may get a bit boring.


   I went on to build modular buildings, testing them to make sure they snap together well as I went along. I created the shops, windows, columns and brackets so that they could plug into the buildings. This way they'll be able to repeat and in different combinations, along with the modular buildings that Carl has been building. I also built a few things that will be able to be repeated throughout the level such as shop signs, different variants of windows etc.


   There are a couple of shops that the player will be able to enter which will be the Florist, the Apothecary and the Cake shop, if time permits. I focused first on looking on the outside of the florist, because I realised it would need to be much larger than I had originally designed it. I drew up these concepts and tried to make the building look quite grand. The garden in the back is where the player would come across the St Frideside Well, which would transport them to the courtyard in Christchurch.



   I started building the florist, which I have yet to finish, and then I started to model the Apothecary. I've built it so that the player is able to go inside, and also that it snaps together with the other buildings that I've modelled. I've also looked into the inside of the Apothecary, of which I have started to do some more detailed concepts to start writing an asset list.



   I also began texturing one of the repeatable shops. Lewis taught me how to make glass and even better, textured glass! Yay!


On another note, I've been trying to get in more painting in my spare time. I feel really pleased when I look back to some of the paintings I was doing in the first year and compare them to paintings I produce now which are better, and I do quicker. These are two of my favourites that I have done more recently. The first is a film still from The Hobbit : Desolation Of Smaug, which, if I'm honest, I partially painted so I could paint Thranduil. Elves yay! The other is a portrait of a french singer from the sixties called Francoise Hardy. I really loved the lighting in this portrait; it was a lovely photo to recreate.



Thanks for reading, I'll post again soon (I promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment