Tuesday 8 April 2014

Reef Character Project

   It was a while ago now, however I recently revisited this project so I'd like to give it a mention. I really enjoyed this project as well, just the same as I have enjoyed the other character design projects so far. I really love the process of going from research stage, exploring possibilities, to finalising the character. I liked this project the best so far, because I felt it was quite versatile and open for all sorts of possible outcomes. Really, our only specifications for this project were to produce a humanoid character based on the 'Reef'. Interpreting this as the barrier reef, I started to search for research material and produced these mood boards.



   I was finding most of my research from Pinterest, which I found an such a valuable source for finding interesting and inspiring pictures. I realised whilst I was gathering my images that I was maybe even too inspired. What I mean by this is that everything I found was inspiring me in some way or another. I had to narrow my searches. I chose a few creatures that interested me the most and created further mood boards. 




   From the mood boards I compiled, I started to produce quick silhouettes of potential characters. At first I found it quite difficult to come up with different ideas and different directions to take them in, but I realised that this was because I was becoming too quickly attached to certain ideas. Oh dear... From the silhouettes I developed my favourite further unto a more established design.






   There are elements I really like about this design, such as the main lobster body being used as a sort of helmet and covering her eyes like a visor. It looks like it could be armour (admittedly sparsely situated armour) but I quite liked the idea of her being an un-willing experiment, an attempt of making a super soldier sub-species. 









   After I had finalised the elements of my character like colour etc, I had to start thinking about setting. I decided that she would have escaped and would be in hiding, somewhere abandoned and derelict. After I had decided this, I created a couple of idea sheets for inspiration. After picking one of my favourites I created a final of her in that situation. I would like to experiment with some of the others at some point though, if I get chance.




   We then had to start modelling our character. I used a material that I used to use a lot when I was younger, called Fimo. Unlike the clay material I used for my last modelling project, it was incredibly easy to mould, so I was able to get a lot more detail into the finished model. After I had finished modelling it, I wanted to paint her. I used acrylics to begin with, but I hated the finish. Using half of my makeup wipes, I removed the paint and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the residue paint left a lovely bone effect on the model. I'd love to say I did this on purpose but nah, it was a happy accident. A technique I'd like to adopt for the future though.





    I felt like I never did a proper final for this project though, not one that I could be really pleased with, so I decided to do another piece to revisit this project. I am much more pleased with this piece, and I feel like I really understand the colours and anatomy of my character. 





No comments:

Post a Comment